Thursday, March 4, 2010

Tip #9: Testing website search

Almost every modern website has search feature and it must be carefully and thoroughly tested. You will know from this post how to do it using JMeter.

First record necessary HTTP requests (including search page and search results page) using JMeter's recording proxy and group them into separate transactions.


Then go to HTTP Request sampler which corresponds to search results page and replace the keyword (which you used during recording) with some variable name, e.g., ${KEYWORD}.


Then prepare the list of keywords you want to use for search testing, save them to the text file and add CSV Data Set Config element to Thread Group. Specify the name of just created file and the variable name which will contain your keywords from file, e.g., KEYWORD (see above).


Now you are ready to test the search on your website.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Victor,

    could you please expalin more about the Logic controller regards this case

    I did the same things as article said but the test plan just use only first word only in .cvs file

    I think it migth be some problem on my logic controller (I using simple controller)

    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Victor,
    I have just started my career in testing..
    And i am searching for the performance testing tool...
    after a lot of research i understand that the JMeter is one of the best opensource performance tool.. i am testing the application on jmeter but there is problem in login process..
    can you tell me..

    How to record in JMeter?
    How to give login credentials and access the next pages after logging into the application..

    plz inform me

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can inform me..rohini.vhs:attherate:gmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mini please see this:
    1.jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/jmeter_proxy_step_by_step.pdf

    2.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI6u5pclYIw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I also take a look on this site and there are some problem with recording need your help
    When I record a website, I change the proxy on Firefox to Name: localhost and port 8080. But this prevent my website accessing. SO, I can't recording this.
    How I do in this case?
    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. carot, use different ports for website and proxy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Victor,
    But now my localhost use port 8500, when I input this into Jmeter proxy to record. This inform that port is in use and cantnot start recording.
    I also try some port as 8090, but it is the same with 8080.
    Beside that, I use port 8080 but not enter the name localhost meaning leave empty Name of port in browser confige; the web run nomally but Jmeter cannot record.
    Which solution can you give me?
    Maybe this is a basic issue,but I don't know how to resolve this. Thanks again for your help,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Thankyou for Sharing this information, for more information and tips on website, Please visit Best Seo Company in Delhi

    ReplyDelete